GET A NT CLASS R PROVISIONAL RIDER LICENCE
To be eligible for your provisional riders licence (your ‘Ps’) you must have:
- held your learner rider licence for a minimum of six continuous months
- passed a METAL Intermediate rider course or the MVR On Road Riding Test.
Licence restrictions for provisional riders
As well as complying with all road rules and traffic laws, there are some additional requirements for provisional licence holders:
- Blood/Breath Alcohol Concentration (BAC/BrAC): Your BAC/BrAC must be zero. This means you cannot have any alcohol in your system when you ride a motorcycle.
- Displaying P plates: A P plate must be clearly displayed on the back of the motorcycle.
- Licence: You must carry your licence at all times while riding.
- LAMS motorcycle: You must only ride motorcycles that are listed under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS).
- Passengers: You must not carry any pillion passengers.
- Speed limit: You must not ride faster than 100 km/h at any time, regardless of the sign posted speed limit, and you must observe the speed limit where it is below 100 km/h.
- Helmet: You must wear an approved motorcycle helmet at all times while riding.
- Mobile phone: You must not use any function of a mobile phone while riding, including hands-free or loudspeaker options.
- Demerit points: Your licence will be suspended if you incur five (5) or more demerit points within 12 months (if you already have another class licence, the demerit point threshold for that class will apply).